One of the first recipes I posted was the Rose Borek…a savory pastry rolled and shaped somewhat into a twirl..
Well…then my mom showed me this nice and easy twist to the rose borek…Puff Pastry Twirl Borek…not only is it soooo easy to make, but it tastes fantastic!! :)) I’ve tried these with a potato stuffing and with a feta cheese stuffing..this particular recipe is with feta cheese.. If you’re having people over and you want to make something speedy (and if you have puff pastry at hand), this is a great option…
Fun to make..even more fun to eat!!! :))
Crumble or grate the feta cheese; mix with dried thyme and mint
Put the puff pastry square on a well floured surface…very well floured..and dust the top with flour too. You’re going to open up the square into a thin rectangle, so you need to make sure that the puff pastry does not stick on the counter.
Roll out the puff pastry square into a thin and long rectangle. Put the filling (in this case feta cheese) on the longer side.Tightly roll the dough; once rolled, twist the dough gently and then twirl it until the end.
Put the puff pastry twirl boreks on a lined baking tray about half an inch apart. Pair the twirl boreks with the ends of the twirls (of each pair) facing each other; place a toothpick between them sealing the ends. Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle sesame seeds on them and bake.
- 2½ cups feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried mint
- 1 pack of 15 puff pastry squares (size of square is about 4x4 inches (10x10cm))
- 1 egg yolk
- Sesame seeds for sprinkling on top
- Flour for dusting the surface
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees F (375 degrees C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl crumble the feta cheese.
- Add the mint and thyme and mix.
- Place a puff pastry square on a well floured surface. Flour the top of the puff pastry.
- Roll out the puff pastry into a 14 inch (about 36 cm) long and thin rectangle.
- Put a thin line of filling alongside the longer edge of the rectangle.
- Tightly roll the rectangle and twist it gently.
- Twirl the dough until the end.
- Put the puff pastry twirl boreks on a lined baking tray about half an inch apart. Pair the twirl boreks with the ends of the twirls (of each pair) facing each other; place a toothpick between them sealing the ends.
- Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle sesame seeds on them.
- Bake in a preheated oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and leave to cool a for a bit.
- Remove the toothpicks and place on a serving dish.