Anyone who knows me (and my family) will say that we’re carnivores (at least most of us) :) We need to have some sort of protein in our meals whether it’s poultry or some kind of meat. However, lately, I’m trying to introduce more vegetables into our diet; or more like reduce the amount of meat.
Pasta…one of the things that I think goes very well with ground beef…when I hear the word ‘pasta’, I think, bolognese! So lately I was on the quest to find a very tasty, relatively vegetarian pasta recipe that would make me ask for more..if you know what I mean ;)
I came across the Pepper, Tomato and Garlic Pasta on Ozlem’s Turkish Table…and it immediately caught my attention. Cooked green peppers are not my thing…I feel they’re a bit bitter. Howeveeeer….red, orange and yellow peppers are something else! They add this sweetness to the meal you’re having. So I bought the ingredients and tried this….twice! :)
Now we have quite a bit of left overs in the fridge…and I’m excited about lunch tomorrow! :)
- 1 pack (500 grams) spaghetti
- 1½ liters of water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 medium sized tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Juice of Half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the salt. Add the pasta and cook according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Drain the pasta and coat with olive oil.
- In a large shallow pan, heat oil on medium heat.
- Add the peppers and garlic and sauté for 4 – 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sauté for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice, brown sugar, and seasoning and mix well.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 8 – 10 minutes.
- At this stage, you can taste the pepper and tomato sauce to make sure if it needs more seasoning.
- Remove from heat and add to cooked pasta.
- You can serve this dish topped with parmesan cheese.