When I was younger, I used to love eating lemons. I would peel a lemon, slice it up, sprinkle some salt on it and eat it! I can’t really do that anymore; me teeth are too sensitive to the acidity; but I still love lemons and anything citrus. I have an obsession with lemon meringue pie; lemon cupcakes; key lime pie…you name it; if it has citrus in it, I love it!
A while back, our ex-tenant had left back to his country and we were fixing up the apartment and getting it ready for the new tenant. The ex-tenant left a lot of magazines behind. As I was sifting through them, I saw a recipe book compiled by Costco. The cover page had a picture of lemon bars and I immediately had hearts coming out of my eyes (metaphorically…more like emoticonically :D).
Of course, needless to say, I got to work and made these lemon bars…and they were a hit in this household.
To show you how easy they are to make, I made a video of the making!
Hope you enjoy these as much as we did! :))
- 1 cup (240 grams) softened butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 175C (350F)
- In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar and all purpose flour.
- Knead into a soft dough.
- Press dough onto the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs.
- Add the sugar, flour and lemon juice and whisk well until smooth.
- Pour over the baked crust.
- Bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. The bars will firm up as they cool.
- Slice into desired size and lightly sift icing sugar onto them.
- Garnish with lemon rind.