Chocolate Chip Cake
Recipe type: Dessert
Light and fluffy cake perfect with a cup of tea!
For the Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup butter (about 200 grams)
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup low fat milk
- 4 egg whites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
For the Coffee Glaze
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- about 2 - 3 tablespoons of brewed coffee
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease and flour a bundt cake pan or a springform pan with a bundt attachment. (I used a 10 inch springform pan with a bundt attachment)
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a medium sized bowl and set aside.
- Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of the mixer. With a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar on medium speed for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add egg yolks one by one, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk in three additions, starting and ending with the flour mixture. (Add one third of the flour mixture and beat until just combined; add half of the milk and beat until just combined. Add the second half of the flour mixture and beat until just combined; add the remaining milk and beat until just combined. Add the rest of the flour and beat until just combined).
- Use the spatula as needed to scrape the sides of the bowl. Once the batter has been mixed, scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl and mix well ensuring that the flour and milk are well incorporated into the batter.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites until they start foaming. While continuing to beat, gradually add the ½ cup of sugar, one spoon at a time. Continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter in three steps folding after each addition. Ensure that there are no egg white streaks left in the batter.
- Spread a third of the batter in the previously prepared bundt pan. Scatter half of the chocolate chips on top of the batter. Spread another third of the batter on top of the chocolate chips. Scatter the remaining chocolate chips on top of the batter. Finally, spread the remaining batter on the chocolate chips and smoothen the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 40 - 45 minute, checking regularly after 40 minutes to ensure that you don't over-bake. Test for doneness using a toothpick. If a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, then the cake is done.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Gently remove from cake pan and place on serving plate.
Prepare the Coffee Glaze
- Sift the powdered sugar in a medium sized bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of coffee while whisking. Continue adding 1 tablespoon of coffee and whisking until you reach the desired consistency. (Most probably you will not need to add more than 2 tablespoons)
- Drizzle the coffee glaze on the cake and serve!!
Please follow and like us: