I love a good salad…especially one that has a lot of crunch in it! Mom tried this salad at her friend’s house…and when she told me about it, I just thought..oh ok…a salad..
The thing is, the sauce sounded a bit odd to me..a bit of honey a bit of mustard…I just couldn’t wrap my head around it!! But then she made it!! And I absolutely fell in love with it!
It has the right amount of seasoning..the mustard and honey give a burst of flavors in your mouth! And the best amount of crunch you can get out of a salad :)))
This recipe was adapted from Aynurun Mutfağı.
- ¼ of a medium sized cabbage, finely chopped or grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¾ cup unsalted peanuts
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ cup chopped dill pickles
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 4 - 5 (about ¼ cup) chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1½ teaspoon mustard
- juice of ½ an orange
- juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F).
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage and salt. Rub the salt into the cabbage with your hands.
- In a medium sized pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add the chopped peppers and sauté for about 8 - 10 minutes. Set aside and let cool slightly (15 minutes).
- Add the carrot, corn, dill pickles, green onions and sautéed peppers to the cabbage.
- Put the peanuts in an oven pan. Put the pan in a preheated oven and roast for about 10 minutes. Occasionally, take the pan out of the oven and give it a little shake to move the peanuts around.
- In a measuring cup, combine all the dressing ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad and mix well.
- Finally, mix in the peanuts. And Serve!